Loxton SA up to Broken Hill - ideas, advice, etc......?

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 21:48
ThreadID: 140922 Views:5284 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are NSW residents who left Sydney on 11 Dec, and were well settled in SA before the news started running hot on COVID from Sydney. Currently on Limestone Coast SA, and would normally run down into Vic, and spend a couple of weeks bimbling through Vic to Wodonga on the way home. However, reading the letter of the Covid laws as at today, there is a risk that Vic may not let us in, so we are checking out a Plan B.
We could work our way up to Renmark/Loxton area, and then head north within SA until we can go into NSW on the Barrier Highway through Broken Hill.
Now we need the brains trust please......
From Loxton we could be really boring and head north-west to Burra and stay on the bitumen round to BH, but we would welcome experiences of working offroad straight up the SA border via Chowilla, Canopus, (but then it starts looking a bit iffy without prior knowledge......)
We are a 100 series Landcruiser towing the smallest of the Kedrons (single-axle 16ft very offroad 2.75gtm). Happy with ‘off the bitumen’, but clearly there is a point where the rig can’t do stupidly soft-sand stuff.......
Throwing it out there: All and any local knowledge of that region, and a route through from Loxton/Renmark to BH that would cut off the big corner without doing anything too dumb.......
Thanks in advance fellow ExplorOz- ers.
Graham and Liz.
100 Series towing Kedron CP5 Compact

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 22:29

Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 22:29
First of all Graham and Liz, Happy New Year.

The route you have planned is all great, easy station tracks and describe in detail in a sec.

If you are concerned about, here is the first other option with less dirt road.

As in option 2 still head out of Renmark on the main Renmark/Wentworth Road. At the end of the bitumen you will now be on hard compact all weather rubble road. If you want to detour and a few days of bush camping by the River, turn south at the signpost to Chowilla. In this section you zig zag your way along the original Old Coach Road.

If you want to skip that option, just keep heading east and cross over the state border and just keep following the signs to Wentworth......you will have 2 options.
The main top road will skirt the top of Lake Victoria. If on the other hand you want to turn south, it will take you to the bottom of Lake Victoria and through Rufus River. Either way you will hit the bitumen about 20 kilometres west of Wentworth the bitumen all the way toBroken Hill.

Now to option 2 and your route., which is the same as the above up until nearly at the state border crossing. Keep an eye out on your left and there will be the track signposted to Danggali. Basically you just keep heading north and will eventually come to a T junction. Left will be back to Burra ( from memory about 180 kilometres ) or right to Lock Lily station and then keep going without ant deviations until you hit the Silver City Highway north of Coombah.

There are a lot more options from Wentworth if you want to go vis Mungo.

Like I said above all good Station roads and just drive to the conditions.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 634578

Reply By: Member - Adiona - Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 23:54

Thursday, Dec 31, 2020 at 23:54
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for that - if you are replying on NYE, I hope you are by a campfire somewhere!
That’s very helpful, and exactly the advice we wanted. If it is generally station tracks, then there is no issue - we will be navigating from HEMA Offroad app on ipad on windscreen, and your notes will be extremely helpful.
Cheers again,
Graham.
100 Series towing Kedron CP5 Compact

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 634579

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Jan 01, 2021 at 00:08

Friday, Jan 01, 2021 at 00:08
Just quickly found 2 images of the road up to Danggali after the turnoff, gives you some idea what it’s like....to be honest you could do it in a standard Ford or Holden
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 911833

Sponsored Links